The last two years have been dominated by the Saturn/Uranus square, which is coming to an end. This square, with its unpredictable and erratic expression, came on the heels of the 2020 conjunction of Jupiter/Pluto/Saturn in Capricorn, which heralded the dismantling of the structure of society. We’ve been spinning ever since; seeking some sort of purchase but finding only confusion and division.
While I did not foresee that a pandemic would accelerate the end of the Age of Pisces, it does make sense. A life-threatening disease with mysterious origins, paired with an already existing distrust of government and fear of hidden forces operating behind the scenes. This situation brought increasing strife and discord as various factions struggled to create – or perhaps to enforce – their vision of how society ought to operate. We’ve passed through the storm of much of this and a path is starting to emerge. The destination remains unclear.
There will be no bone crunching transits this year. There is, however, the beginning of Pluto in Aquarius, a major transition which will take two years to complete. This year, Pluto will tiptoe into Aquarius from the end of March until mid-June before returning to the last degrees of Capricorn. Pluto – god of death and rebirth – will complete its conjunction to the US Pluto, a transit which began in 2022. This is a big deal. The US has been moving through an underworld journey where the foundational basis of society – a political system called “democracy” – has been challenged and may be dying. The sign Aquarius is inextricably aligned with the democratic concept (the ruler of Aquarius – Uranus – was discovered in 1781, aligning with the birth of the United States). Pluto has been in Capricorn since 2008 and its shift into Aquarius is part of a larger transition. Over the next five years, all three of the outer planets (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) shift out of earth and water signs and into air and fire. Together these three describe the experiential backdrop of our lives. Simply put, “the times, they are a changin’.”
- January: Pluto conjunct the US Pluto;
- March: Along with Pluto entering Aquarius, Saturn, the principle of contraction, will move into Pisces;
- May: Jupiter moves into Taurus, turning retrograde in September;
- June: Pluto returns to Capricorn for the rest of the year;
- July – early September: Venus retrograde in Leo, moving through a quincunx to Neptune, a square to Uranus and a square to Jupiter;
- July – December: Uranus, Neptune, Pluto in harmonious relationship in the late degrees of Taurus, Pisces, and Capricorn - the last hurrah of earth/water domination through the outer planets. This time may bring some proposed solutions to real world problems (i.e.: climate change);
- October: Pluto turns direct, conjunct the US Pluto.
In summary, expect an increasing acceptance of new realities, and – potentially – a desire for compromise. There will be continued advances in technology (Aquarius rules technology). The reality of climate change will be brought home in a big way. The best scenario is that our new technological prowess will be directed toward softening the inevitable hardships that will come as a result of environmental changes. And geopolitical realities, which began to shift in 2022 with the US Pluto Return, will continue to create a new global balance of power. These are big changes and create an entryway to a new world.
January 1, 2023, by Ruby Falconer. Available for chart readings.